Scrounge around in your freezer and pantry and see what you can find! I like to have some kind of meat, some kind of bean, and some kind of vegetable. You can use plain water, canned broth, water + bouillon, or homemade stock. Here’s what I found:
- ham bone from the freezer
- chopped leftover ham
- 1 cup of 10-bean mix (dry)
- 1/2 gallon bag of mixed vegetables from the freezer (corn, green beans, peas, carrots… leftover from last time I made veg soup)
- homemade chicken stock, 2 cups
- Put ham bone and dry beans (rinsed) in the crock pot, add enough water to fill the crockpot about halfway, and cook on high for 3 hours or so.
- Put everything else in there, make sure there is still plenty of water, and cook on low for 4-6 hours or until beans are tender.