Here is something I threw together because I had a bunch of apples that I bought on clearance (red bag special) at my grocery store. They were about a day or two beyond their crunchy phase, but I didn’t want to waste them.
I had all the other stuff on hand, so I tried this out. It turned out great!
- 2 cups dry steel-cut oats
- 2 cups almond milk, regular milk, 2% milk, skim milk, or other milk of your choice
- 4 cups water (or use 6 cups water and leave out milk altogether)
- 4-5 medium apples, diced (I used 4 apples + 1 pear)
- 2-4 Tbsp brown sugar or maple syrup (optional)
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
Combine all ingredients in crockpot and cook on low for approx 7 hours. Check on it now and then to make sure there is enough liquid. Cook until oatmeal is soft and liquid has been absorbed. This made about 9 1-cup servings.